Monday, April 20, 2009

Higher Hope by Robert Whitlow

I have just finished reading another free book I got from Thomas Nelson Publishing. For more information on how you can review books for free go here. This is the first fiction book I have received from them. Let me start my review by admitting that I did not realize when I ordered this book it was book two in the series. You don't have to read book one to be able to understand what’s going on in this book but I'm sure it would be helpful. Needless to say I spend the first couple of chapters a little lost. Other than that though I thought the book was fine. It is a crime drama. I like reading Christian fiction but I found the characters to a little over the top. The main character and narrator for the most part is a young woman who comes from a very strict up bringing and is struggling to adapt out side of her community. The other main female character is a minister who can "see" people's sins even when they are not confessed. Alone these characters would have been a little easier to accept but with several extreme characters it became a little over the top. I don't want to make it seem like a bad book. It was a very easy read and the story flowed well. The author wrapped up enough of the story to give some closer but there is still enough to make the reader want to read the next book in the series. Overall I would give it a 3 out of 5.